Karijini Photography Adventure
APRIL 18TH - 24TH 2021
Situated in the heart of The Pilbara region, Western Australia. Karijini is home to some of the most unique and ancient landscapes in the world. Beneath the vast and rugged Hammersley Range is a network of deep gorges where waterfalls, striking blue waterholes and vertical red rock walls are a common sight.
- 7 days, 6 nights
- 5 Canyons + Mt Bruce Hike
- Abseiling and Climbing
- Paddling and Travelling through the awe inspiring and stunning geology that has been shaped by nature over billions of years
- 6 Dinners, 6 Breakfasts, 6 Lunches, Morning Tea and Snacks
- Complimentary Wine or Beer on the first night
- Deluxe Eco Tent with Ensuite (twin share or king bed for couples)
- Free Abseil & Climbing Training, and Gear Prep Session in Perth prior to Trip
- Post Photo Processing Session back in Perth after Trip
- Return Transport: Paraburdoo Airport - Karijini Eco Retreat*
- All Transport within Karijini National Park
- Flights/Transport to Karijini not included
A land billions of years in the making, captured in 6 days, for you to enjoy for a lifetime. Captured not only as a memory, but also by your camera.
Come with us on a journey of wonder and creativity, deep into the heart of the Pilbara. Delve into the depths of an ancient and majestic landscape of reds, yellows, blues and greens. A landscape of stunning gorges, spring-fed turquoise pools, banded ironstone sculptured by water over time, spinifex, red dust, Melaleuca and Snappy Gums. The contrasts and play of light is a photographer's dream.
To the Banyjima, Kurrama and Ynnawonga people, this landscape was formed during the Dreamtime, when the Warlu meandered his way across the land. Warlu (pronounced Wah-loo) comes from the Aboriginal dreaming of a giant sea serpent – or Warlu – named Barrimirndi, who emerged from the sea at Coral Bay and carved out subterranea, gorges, rivers, streams and waterholes in a journey to exact revenge on two boys who ate a Gurdarnkurdarn (Mulga parrot), finally coming to rest at Jirndawurrunha (Millstream), and discovering the boys at Nhanggangunha (Deep Reach Pool). It did not end well for the boys.
The gorges of Karijini were formed as part of this meandering. Karijini is the name of the Hamersley Range in the Banyjima language.
We will be traveling as deep as you can go into the gorges of Karijini, rock hopping, climbing, abseiling, water sliding, water jumping, swimming and tubing. Touch rocks over 2 billion years old, spend time immersed in the aura of this ancient landscape and be inspired. The deepest parts of Karijini are classed as 'Restricted Class 6', and only accessible with extensive knowledge of the area, and a specific set of roping and canyoning skills. To achieve this, an experienced is guide essential. This not only ensures your safety, but also the safety of your photography equipment. We will take you to the best spots, at the best times of the day and show you the best that Karijini has to offer. Go where not many have ventured, and get shots that not many have taken.
This itinerary may vary slightly depending on environmental circumstances, client needs, park closures and/or road conditions.
As part of this tour and to prepare each participant, a full training in Perth prior to the tour departure is included. During this session, we will learn to abseil, climb and via ferrata, as well as learn proper gear prep for all your photography equipment. This day will be announced once the tour is fully booked.
DAY 1: April 18th
Travel and arrive at Karijini Eco Retreat, settle in over dinner & briefing for the next day.
DAY 2: April 19th, 0530 start - finish varies
Photography begins! We will meet at the beginning of the Joffre Gorge trail to begin a sunrise shoot from the top of the gorge. Following the sunrise shoot, we will make the short but steep descent into the gorge, making the most of that early morning light.
Following the first early start of our trip, we'll make the short walk back to the Eco Retreat for breakfast, and take some time to freshen up and relax or go for a swim before we meet up again to learn some post processing.
Astrophotography shoot from the top of Joffre Gorge (weather dependant) after dinner.
DAY 3: April 20th, 1000 start - finish varies
Depart Eco Retreat for Weano Gorge. Here we will descend into the Class 6 area of the gorge! We'll spend majority of our day in here photographing this magnificent, almost otherworldly landscape.
DAY 4: April 21st, 0530 start - finish varies
Depart the Eco Retreat, headed for a sunrise shoot at Knox Gorge.
Descend into Knox Gorge, ready to photograph the Knox Gorge waterfall in the Class 6 area. From here we will continue our descent into Red Gorge, and then photograph the Regans Pool waterfall of Hancock Gorge.
DAY 5: April 22nd, 0800 start - finish varies
Depart Karijini Eco Retreat for Hancock Gorge. On this day we will photograph the gorge leading up to the stunning Kermit's Pool.
Post Processing session at Karijini Eco Retreat prior to dinner.
DAY 6: April 23rd, 0800 start - finish varies
Depart Eco Retreat to photograph the depths of Hancock, followed by Joffre Gorge.
DAY 7: April 24th, 0330 - 0900 approx.
Depart for Mount Bruce - Sunrise shoot.
Nature By Nathan will be offering a Complimentary Post Processing Session at Midland Camera House upon completion of the tour. All tour attendees will be welcome free of charge - Dates will be discussed and organised upon return to Perth.
INCLUSIONS & EXCLUSIONS
- 6 nights accommodation at the Karijini Eco Resort in Deluxe Eco Tents, based on twin share singles or king bed for couples
- Transport between Paraburdoo Airport and Karijini Eco Retreat at specified times
- All meals and snacks from dinner on 18th April 2021 until breakfast on 24th April 2021. All food will be plant based, as locally sourced and organic as possible, with minimal packaging (any non reusable packaging used will be recycled), in line with our efforts to minimise our environmental footprint, and to align with our ethical principles. All meals will be nourishing and plentiful. Dietary requirements will be catered for.
- Use of specialist canyoning and safety equipment including harnesses and floatation tubes and hand paddles
- A full day of adventure and learning, abseiling and climbing at Boya Quarry on the 6th March 2021
- 2 Experienced Photographers to guide you through your Karijini photography experience
- Highly qualified and experienced Karijini canyon guide/s
- Flights to and from Paraburdoo
- Transport between Paraburdoo Airport and Karijini Eco Retreat for any guests who choose to travel outside of the specified times*
- Alcohol, with the exception of a drink on the first night, is available for purchase at guest's additional cost at the Karijini Eco Retreat. However, guests are encouraged to minimise alcohol intake in order to maximise the benefits of this experience.
- Clothing and footwear appropriate for canyoning (a recommended packing list will be provided to all guests after booking)
- Camera equipment and protection (recommended equipment and protection will be sent with your booking confirmation)
Deluxe Eco Tents with Ensuites, either twin share or king bed for couples:
• Own private ensuite bathroom
• Front and rear deck
• Spacious stylish interiors
• Two single beds OR king bed
• Quality bedding and linen (100% cotton sheets/brushed cotton blankets)
• Minimal power for low wattage applications (Charging camera battery/iPod)
• Solar power
• Grey water treatment
• Natural ventilation (No air-conditioner)
• Floor made from composite timber
• Flow showerheads & spring loaded taps
• Recycled toilet paper
• Use of natural products only
If you wish to upgrade your accommodation and not share, please contact us and we can arrange this for you at a cheaper price than online. This will be subject to extra charges depending on which option you choose and the availability at the time.
$7,750 per person (a 50% deposit is required with full payment by the 1/3/2021)
THE OTHER STUFF
*Clients need to organise and pay for flights to and from Newman Airport on the dates that the tours start and end. The times of these flights need to line up with the flight that we put our guide/s onto to take advantage of our shuttle to and from the Karijini Eco Retreat.
Flight times may vary due to uncertainty with COVID19 and Qantas flight schedules. Please contact us to discuss this.
Current Flight Schedule
Perth - Paraburdoo: 18/4/2021, departing 1550
Paraburdoo - Perth: 24/4/2021, departing 0955
If you choose to book other flights, you will need to organise your own transport to and from the Karijini Eco Retreat.
If you are booking flights, we strongly advise that you wait to hear from us to ensure that this tour has met minimum numbers and will proceed. We will let you know as soon as possible, and no later than the closing dates for last payments listed above.
If you are driving, this is an AWESOME road trip. We are more than happy to chat to you about fantastic places to visit along the way, and we will see you at the Eco Retreat.
Please note that due to safety concerns surrounding the equipment, time constraints and in consideration for other non smoking guests, there is no smoking within the gorges whilst on our tours.
This tour, as with all our tours, is subject to our Terms and Conditions.
We genuinely feel we have done our best to keep the price as low as possible and in line, if not below, similar products within WA. We understand that flying to some parts of Asia might be cheaper, but things being set up as they are in WA, internal flights and associated costs are higher.
In the event of not meeting minimum numbers, we would issue a full refund.
If you have any questions, and/or to make your payment, please call us on
0423 182 663 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to hearing from you.