Dunsborough Photography Weekend - April 2024
April 19th - 21st 2024
Maximum 5 participants.
Capture world renowned scenery of the Dunsborough & Margaret River Region, under guidance from Nathan Dobbie in this 3 day landscape photography workshop!
Located approximately 3 hours south of Perth, this area of the Southwest is the perfect location for a short photography getaway. Over the weekend we'll be based in Dunsborough, capturing a stunning, and diverse array of locations along the magnificent coastline that the southwest is known for.
This weekend is curated to provide the best photographic opportunities for landscape photography!
This small group workshop is aimed at beginner - intermediate photographers. There is a maximum of 5 participants and a professional guide, so you are guaranteed to have plenty of individual assistance.
- Over the three days we will have 5 on location photography shoots, and a post processing session. I will be with you to assist with your photography for the duration of each shoot.
- We like to keep a flexible itinerary on our multi-day photography workshops so that guests can have the best shooting conditions possible.
However, over the weekend we plan to visit some of the iconic and popular destinations along the southwest coastline, such as; Sugarloaf Rock, Castle Rock, Canal Rocks, and Injidup Natural Spa. In addition to this we will be visiting some lesser photographed but equally as spectacular locations that are found in this region.
See the gallery at the bottom of this page for some inspiration!
What will I learn?
- Setting up your camera for landscape photography: Learn which camera gear is necessary to capture your desired images.
- Photography fundamentals: How to shoot using manual mode & understanding aperture, ISO, shutter speed, and white balance.
- Composition techniques: Create captivating images that stand out from the rest in a positive way.
- Planning: Learn to plan your photography for the best results. This includes using natural light effectively and using apps to predict ideal conditions for each shoot.
- Shoot with intent to process: Optimize your on location shooting to allow for better results in post processing later.T his includes techniques such as exposure bracketing, focus stacking, etc.
- Post processing: Editing images from start to finish using Adobe Lightroom &/or Photoshop.
Strictly limited to 5 participants!
What to bring:
We'll be doing a varied amount of walking to get to our photography destinations. Please come prepared and wear closed in shoes to all photography sessions.
Some of the locations we visit may require hiking and rock hopping to get to reach. A reasonable amount fitness is required and stability on your feet is required, as we will often be walking across a lot of uneven ground.
Even in the autumn months, it can become very cold and windy in the Southwest. Please bring warm clothing, including a rain jacket, beanie, gloves just in-case!
Recommended Photography Equipment
Photography equipment is NOT supplied. At a minimum, you need your own camera, tripod, lens(es), memory cards (with plenty of space), and batteries (fully charged).
There are photographic opportunities for any focal length at our workshop locations, but if I could only choose one lens to bring with me on this trip, It would be a 24-70mm as this is a great all rounder for landscape photographers. A 14-24mm/16-35mm ultra-wide lens is also a great option for seascape photography.
Drones are welcome on this workshop! I can assist you with your drone photography.
A good, sturdy tripod is highly recommended. You'll want one that allows full control of the leg angle, as this can be critical for setting up on uneven ground and getting the camera nice and low. I recommend that you have a ball head attached to the tripod also, as this will allow you to easily level your camera once set up. Read my guide to choosing the right tripod for landscape photography for more information.
I also recommend bringing some lens filters for this trip, particularly a polarising filter (CPL), and a medium-density ND filter (e.g. 3-6 stops). Read my guide to lens filters for landscape photography for more information.
Terms & Conditions
Please ensure that you have read and agree to the workshop terms and conditions prior to booking.
The workshop price is $650pp and there is a maximum of 5 participants.
Please complete and submit the below EOI form to request a place in this workshop. You will then be contacted to submit payment and confirm your booking once enough forms have been completed. Information on refunds and late cancellations is available the above Terms & Conditions.
Special Offer! Save 20% on other workshops.
All participants on this workshop are eligible to attend the following workshops at a discounted price, and with higher priority! Just complete the registration forms and you will be contacted with a chance to book before the other guests. See the details below for workshop dates and discounted pricing.